Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I'm SCUBA Certified!!

For the past 2 months I've been on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands...

The first 2 weeks were pretty crazy...what with a few big unit shutdowns, my first hurricane (Hurricane Omar - which ended up being a Category 3) which caused a shut down of the entire refinery, the entire refinery starting up the next few days, and then a fire in the refinery. During Hurricane Omar I stayed in the Administration building at the refinery and besides one slight thud on the roof, I couldn't ear the storm at all. This made me decide: 1. That I don't want to live where there are hurricanes; and 2. That if I have to be in another hurricane I want be hunkered down in a building just like the one I was in.

Other than the hurricane...David came down for a week about a month ago and we had a lot of fun. We went SCUBA diving (which I am now certified in, as you can tell from the title of this post), jet skiing, hiking to a cool beach, and snorkeling! Jet skiing was so much fun, although if you go, I recommend purchasing a pair of goggles (so much salt water gets in your eyes otherwise), putting on a lot of water proof sunscreen (apparently water washes off sunscreen or something), and not going for too long (I was seriously sore for several days because I was bracing myself from the waves for about 2 hours). I have pictures up on my Picasa website that you can access here and David has some pictures over here (his are much prettier).

I just got SCUBA certified Sunday, after doing 3 dives in the ocean...talk about a long day! It was pretty cool though...I saw a total of 4 sea turtles, 1 sea horse, and 1 live conch just sliding along the ocean floor in its conch shell!

My family's (Mom, Dad, sister, brother-in-law) coming down for Christmas, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm trying to get all of them to go SCUBA diving with me (you can do a Discovery Dive without being certified and go to about 35-40 ft.)! Otherwise, I'm sure we'll cook some good food and at least go snorkeling all around the island.

No comments: